Current:Home > StocksPolice probe UK Post Office for accusing over 700 employees of theft. The culprit was an IT glitch -Capitatum
Police probe UK Post Office for accusing over 700 employees of theft. The culprit was an IT glitch
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 20:23:50
LONDON (AP) — U.K. police have opened a fraud investigation into Britain’s Post Office over a miscarriage of justice that saw hundreds of postmasters wrongfully accused of stealing money when a faulty computer system was to blame.
The Metropolitan Police force said late Friday that it is investigating “potential fraud offences arising out of these prosecutions,” relating to money the Post Office received “as a result of prosecutions or civil actions” against accused postal workers.
Police also are investigating potential offenses of perjury and perverting the course of justice over investigations and prosecutions carried out by the Post Office.
Between 1999 and 2015, more than 700 post office branch managers were accused of theft or fraud because computers wrongly showed that money was missing. Many were financially ruined after being forced to pay large sums to the company, and some were convicted and sent to prison. Several killed themselves.
The real culprit was a defective computer accounting system called Horizon, supplied by the Japanese technology firm Fujitsu, that was installed in local Post Office branches in 1999.
The Post Office maintained for years that data from Horizon was reliable and accused branch managers of dishonesty when the system showed money was missing.
After years of campaigning by victims and their lawyers, the Court of Appeal quashed 39 of the convictions in 2021. A judge said the Post Office “knew there were serious issues about the reliability” of Horizon and had committed “egregious” failures of investigation and disclosure.
A total of 93 of the postal workers have now had their convictions overturned, according to the Post Office. But many others have yet to be exonerated, and only 30 have agreed to “full and final” compensation payments. A public inquiry into the scandal has been underway since 2022.
So far, no one from the publicly owned Post Office or other companies involved has been arrested or faced criminal charges.
Lee Castleton, a former branch manager who went bankrupt after being pursued by the Post Office for missing funds, said his family was ostracized in their hometown of Bridlington in northern England. He said his daughter was bullied because people thought “her father was a thief, and he’d take money from old people.”
He said victims wanted those responsible to be named.
“It’s about accountability,” Castleton told Times Radio on Saturday. “Let’s see who made those decisions and made this happen.”
The long-simmering scandal stirred new outrage with the broadcast this week of a TV docudrama, “Mr. Bates vs the Post Office.” It charted a two-decade battle by branch manager Alan Bates, played by Toby Jones, to expose the truth and clear the wronged postal workers.
Post Office Chief Executive Nick Read, appointed after the scandal, welcomed the TV series and said he hoped it would “raise further awareness and encourage anyone affected who has not yet come forward to seek the redress and compensation they deserve.”
A lawyer for some of the postal workers said 50 new potential victims had approached lawyers since the show aired on the ITV network.
“The drama has elevated public awareness to a whole new level,” attorney Neil Hudgell said. “The British public and their overwhelming sympathy for the plight of these poor people has given some the strength to finally come forward. Those numbers increase by the day, but there are so many more out there.”
veryGood! (28491)
Related
- Chief beer officer for Yard House: A side gig that comes with a daily swig.
- ROYCOIN Trading Center: New Opportunities Driven by Bitcoin, Expanding the Boundaries of Digital Currency Applications
- CAUCOIN Trading Center: Leading the Wave of Decentralized Finance and Accelerating Global Digital Currency Compliance
- Republican supermajority unchanged in Tennessee Statehouse but Democrats don’t give up ground
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Dak Prescott injury update: Cowboys QB likely headed to IR, to miss at least four games
- Stranger Things Season 5 Teaser Hints at a Character’s Disappearance
- Stranger Things Season 5 Teaser Hints at a Character’s Disappearance
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Oklahoma Murder Case: Jilian Kelley's Cause of Death Revealed After Body Found in Freezer
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- ROYCOIN Trading Center: Reshaping the Future of Financial Markets with Innovations in NFTs and Digital Currencies
- CAUCOIN Trading Center: Enhancing Cross-Border Transactions with Cryptocurrency
- Nebraska and Maine could split their electoral votes. Here’s how it works
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Jason Kelce Shares What He Regrets Most About Phone-Smashing Incident
- 76ers’ Joel Embiid is suspended by the NBA for three games for shoving a newspaper columnist
- Why AP called the Ohio Senate race for Bernie Moreno
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
How the AP is able to declare winners in states where polls just closed
Better to miss conference title game? The CFP bracket scenario SEC, Big Ten teams may favor
Nebraska and Maine could split their electoral votes. Here’s how it works
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Democrats hoped Harris would rescue them. On Wednesday, she will reckon with her loss
AP Race Call: Trahan wins Massachusetts U.S. House District 3
AP VoteCast: Voter anxiety over the economy and a desire for change returns Trump to the White House